Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reflections on General Conference: Part 1

For those of you who may not know. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I suppose most of you do know this but for those of you who are not members, it may be difficult to understand what that means, what things we believe in, and why it is so important to me.

This weekend was what we refer to as General Conference: a chance for all the members all over the world to gather either here at the Conference Center or participate via TV, Radio, or the Internet and listen to the Prophet, the Apostles and other inspired church leaders. Its pretty cool when you think about over 14 million people tuning in to listen to the latter day apostles. Seriously..how blessed are we? Their words are so inspirational. There are 4 general sessions two Saturday and two Sunday (with a fifth session Saturday evening for Priesthood holders: all worthy male members ages 12 and up). These next posts will be a few of the messages I felt most moved by.

We often joke that the BEST talks are given in Priesthood session. In reality, you cannot put one divinely inspired word above another...but if you could I would have to say, two of my favorite talks were contained in this session :) Even if you weren't in Priesthood session, Elder Oaks and Elder Scott (two other apostles) also mentioned it's importance. It is that of President Monson's (the Latter-Day Prophet) call to all singles to get MARRIED. I have to laugh because I heard a rumor that they would be talking about the need to stop playing video games. Way off. So when Pres. Monson got up and said that his words might offend some, my friend and I got excited. I LOVE when the General Authorities (our church leaders) speak so plainly and directly it offends some. So, here we are waiting for something good to chastise the brethren of the church when he says

"Brethren, there is a point at which it's time to think seriously about marriage and to seek a companion with whom you want to spend eternity."

Sheeeoooot! I have to admit. I did kinda pray for it. I always pray for guidance, something to let me know that this conference was for me personally. And I also must admit, I did say a little prayer that I would be lead to how I might better prepare myself for marriage. So it was my fault. Sorry :)

There was no escaping it. In these conference talks when they are chastising the members, I am usually pretty safe: I pay my tithing, I go to church, I went on a mission, I don't drink or any of that, I'm not married so I don't need to worry about how to be a better husband and father...oh but wait. THAT'S MY PROBLEM. Man. He went on to explain that if we were stalling because of our financial situation, it's okay to scrimp and save: that is how you become more grounded and closer in your eternal relationship. If we were scared we would make the wrong choice (maybe), exercise faith. Technically at this point, I was still free from being spiritually slapped into action...until he mentioned those that think its fun to be single.


Welp. Now you got my two little brothers just cracking up as I'm sliding down into the church benches thinking...great, now what. Here I am, nearly 23 and nobody close enough to pop the question on. Not only that, but now all the girls know as well. The ultimate fighting force: my little brothers, my parents, all the girls who now know that their friends have been apostolically kicked in the pants, and the prophet.

I do agree though. I do want to get married. I go on dates. I date. This whole decision thing has never been one of my strong suits though. Seriously, when there is a big decision to be made or an investment like a laptop...my mom will attest, I TAKE FOREVER. On the mission I always thought myself one that would get married around a year after getting back..give or take I was not to worried. Now here I am coming up on two years and I'm no were near getting married

And, its not that easy girls. I know a lot of girls who are constantly complaining about the laziness of the men in asking girls out. I'm not going to argue. For this and other reasons, the importance of marriage was mentioned at least 3 TIMES. Let us not downplay those of us who are doing our part: asking girls out. True, maybe we are asking the wrong ones out, those that are out of our league, etc etc. BUT its a start.

So perhaps I have not been actively searching for a wife, so much as I have been actively searching for awesome people I want to get to know, but that's a step right? 

3 comments:

  1. YIPEEE!!! LOVE IT! Now, to follow the counsel given...don't worry, you weren't the only one trying to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mawwage is what bwings us togheva toooooday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember the words to the song you sung in Primary, "Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way."? If you put full faith and trust in the Lord and do your part He will lead you to find the girl or woman that will be a wonderful eternal companion to you and a sweet mother to your children. Elder Neal A Maxwell said, "The Lord can't steer a parked car!"
    Just a little advice from your Grandma Roberts

    ReplyDelete