Friday, May 27, 2011

A Few Notes From the South

People, do not get cra-zy. This is like the 6th post in three days or so. I am so sorry but I really must get these posts down before I start EFY this next week.

So I had the most amazing opportunity to go to South Carolina last weekend for my latin partner's wedding. It was such a treat and here is my adventures in a nutshell..I hope you enjoy:

There I was at the SLC airport, thank heavens I was there early, and ALL the Continental Airline computers crash. Wonderful. There was seriously nobody there in line when I got there but by the time they had the computers working again (45 min later) there was quite a riot brewing. 


I walked briskly after security to my gate that was already boarding...and yet again, because of the computer crash, we left a little behind schedule. Not good for me because I had an hour layover already in Houston (an airport I had never been to before). The airline people announced as we landed, "Let those with short connections off first." BAH! ya right. Everyone seems to think they have a short connection, but I think by the time they let us off mine was like 20 min or so. While waiting to exit the plane I got really smart and planned my route with a picture of the Houston map. Seriously that beast is confusing. SO...I booked it from one side of the airport to the other (with help from the train thing of coarse) RAN seriously the WHOLE way and I get to the LAST gate (which just so happens to be mine) and get there with 2 min to spare. BUT they decided to get this plane off  early so I missed it. Now I am sweating because I am humid Texas and I get to make the humiliating walk ....past all the people I had just left in the dust, back to where I started, on the other side of the airport.


 I met up with one of the groomsmen there in the Charlotte, North Carolina. It was funny because being a ballroom dancer the first thing I noticed with this guy was DANG you are black...and by black I mean tan. Seriously this guy looked as fake as they came, it looked so unnatural but low-and-behold, someone had been surfin' and studyin' it up in Hawaii...jerk :) (pics later do not do this kid justice for shiz)


 As soon as all the groomsmen arrived, we grabbed our rental car and drove about 2.5 hours to Aiken, South Carolina.


 But seeing as how we were super hungry, and wanted a bit of this southern-ness. We stopped at the only thing that was open at 11:30 at night. 


Pretty funny. We were there, not really sure how to order in fixins and with a very southern black girl behind a failing intercom. It proved to be a movie-esque moment that I only wish I could have recorded. The three of us were cracking up as the driver tried to make our orders and make sense of what this lady was tryin' to say. Too funny to write down the dialogue between the two. It was a had-to-be-there.

"PULL AROUND!" teehehehehhe


We got to the house the groom's family was renting out. Said hi to just about everybody but it was like...2:30 or so when we got there so we hit the sack and went to bed in the 'Bachelor Pad' upstairs. Seriously it was this awesome renovated loft with a double bed smashed together so like 3-4 people could sleep on it if they really wanted to. 
We woke up the next morning (not to the alarm we had mistakenly set for 7:00pm) by the groom's dad calling to let us know that he would be ready to leave in like 15 min. BAH! We got ready super fast, mostly just changed clothes to go out and play golf.



I know what your thinkin. Charlie, you play golf? No, no I do not. But I have always wanted to. I figure, sometime in my business future, I will need to go play golf with some CEO and a major business deal will be decided on the sure luck of my golf skills.

 I was out of my element. Like REALLY out of my element. I hadn't even hit a golf ball since a friend of mine, back when I use to do sleepovers (however old that puts me), had me try it. I sucked so bad, I swore golfing was the stupidest thing ever...never touched the thing since.


 Despite my insecurities it was a beautiful day to go golfing (like I know what that would be...but if I did...it was most definitely that day)


I had awesome coaches though. The groom and one of the groomsmen taught me seriously all I know about golf..which still is like...nothing


My coaches.


 Here are some of the southern bells in their prime (I'd guess like 60's). I could not resist..with their hats and outfits...it was pah-herfect!


 Pro golfer....they will probably start to use this silhouette for all their trophies :)


The groom



Me...I had to get proof I actually was participating..and hey, I got kinda good. Like I was really driving the thing...I am by no means telling you to ask me to play you a round...unless you want to laugh. I do a great stand-up on the green.


 Puttin' around waitin' for the rest of the guys (dads, grandpas, etc) to finish up.


The house was pretty cool. But ...the street we lived on was ash-poo...really, were they that desperate on the naming?

The backyard was fully furnished with a hot tub (which we made use of) and forest. No fences. I think that was something I really enjoyed in that area. It seemed like there was really a lack of fence...love it. It was just these perfect southern estates with green...and forest..and land...fully furnished with its critters :)


After takin a bit of a snooze, we got ready for the rehearsal dinner at Katie's place. Here's a pick of the kids playin in the back.


 Check out this patio thing Katie's dad built especially for the occasion...WOW like WOW!!!! Here in the foreground you've got some of the wedding party, bridesmaids and groomsmen. That's the tan one I was telling you about and seriously no picture does his black-ness justice.
 

 There's the best man, one of my golf coaches. Really cool guys, all the groomsmen. They were friends since like forever but were really cool about having me around. Honestly, getting there, I was super scared I wasn't going to be included in the group of guys because technically (don't lie dahling) I was invited by the bride. So these guys were super cool about the whole thing.



Ain't they the cutest thing ever!


 Sunflowers everywhere (the bride's flowers) and the groom's nephews and nieces :)



Really really cute little girl when she wasn't crying. Sad thing was, the humidity, or the new people or somethin' made this little darlin' super cranky most of the time. Want one..a little blonde one, but not the cryin' type :) Gave her my glasses to keep her happy for a bit :)


And my phone...but not for that long :)


Here's the temple in South Carolina. SO cute. It is the smaller design but no less beautiful. It was such a treat to be invited to participate in such a sacred ceremony as marriage. Most of the bridesmaids were not members, so I hope that they felt something while waiting for the sealing to end :)


May I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They were so beautiful. She was a gem, and he could not stop beaming. I love seeing people get married.


No picture I got does that beautiful dress justice. It just spoke southern elegance. A light champagne color, lots of lace and delicate detailing on the bottom.


Precious!


Groomsmen :)


We had the reception next and this is sadly the only picture of the decorations I got but just imagine...beautiful little country house, fully renovated with wild flowers, and that lavender detailing...there was even a tree swing...like the ones you see in chic flicks..really long ropes and ribbons trailing...I hope they got good pictures on that baby. 


Myself and Mrs. Smith


 After taking pics, we waited for them to announce us to the reception party. It was super cool..we came in rockin out down the aisle (of sorts) and just groovin to the dance floor waiting for the happy couple :)





Bride and her pappy.


So great fun right? Well we myself, two other groomsmen, sister to the groom, and friend of the groom....grabbed a ride to Walmart to get the supplies to properly decorate the car. Now we got some good stuff...most of which I will not post here...just know we were tasteful in our actions. On the way back while we were blowing up balloon to fill the car with....we were pulled over by the fuzz. Yes.. that's right, we were already late. We were on a time crunch because the Walmart was so far away and the bride and groom (rightfully so) wanted to leave the party at a decent hour. 


Gratefully, he believed our story. This was the best pic I could get of him without seeming disrespectful.

(just know there is a missing pic here :)

The rest of the party went well we saw the bride and groom off with an aisle of sparklers... as they emptied their car of newspaper. The rest of the wedding party went back to the dance floor for a few more rounds. I got to dance with the bride's mother, the maid of honor, and just the group as a whole...it was awesome (def must for future receptions).

 

 It was a long day Sunday as I waited for my flight that wasn't until 6:30 that night...stupid me. Anyway...after more delays and a really great nap. It was onto my last plane...


Super scary...it was three people across...luckily I got the window & aisle seats..but that did not take the creepy feeling that the plane is gonna disintegrate from under you :)


I did get home safely, at like 12:30...stupid boy. Never gonna do that again. But it was seriously such a treat to be in the south. I got to visit Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina...visit with awesome southern people. I loved being around all the diversity. Can't wait to finish up school and move out of the bubble..

Love the bubble...wouldn't have gone to school anywhere else..but in order to really appreciate what you've got...you need to see all walks of life...and seriously I LOVED IT!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a wonderful experience in the South! Don't you just want to find yourself a southern belle and spend the rest of your life in Savannah, Georgia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Charlie! I am so glad that you loved my home town! We loved having you and you are welcome back any time darlin' :)You're the best bridesman ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, this made me laugh! miss those fun days!

    ReplyDelete