Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To All You Haters

First off I love a stimulating conversation. I am a respectfully opinionated person and I enjoy a well worded argument. Not argument in the yelling-I-hate-you-I'm-gonna-put-you-down-with-degrading-comments-sense but the lets-see-which-party-can-respectfully-persuade-the-other-party-according-to-case-description.

So I kind of blew up on a friend of mine the other day (sorry again, you were just the lucky duck of the day to receive my wrath) about people who say the phrase, "I hate BYU". Well here it goes people: Soap Box #739.


To all you people who go to BYU and constantly say (or have the attitude of) I HATE BYU. I say to you.. Seriously? Here's my point of view. The only reason people have this stupid mindset is because of outrageous outliers and creepers. I'm gonna give you that one, there are the self-righteous...but lets be honest, where else would they go? And there are those male and female who have come to BYU solely to get married...so sure, we can continue being cynical about the situation or we can realize the positives of the BYU experience.

We all know that everyone in the back of their mind is thinking, when am I going to get married. Seriously don't deny it. It is the next step progression wise in the Gospel. And if I'm wrong on this point, which I'm pretty sure I'm not, tell me. So people, don't get angry that there are some sweet spirits who are a little excited to find their eternal companion amongst some 30,000 members. Seriously people: members in places like Europe are forced to decide to pick from the very shallow dating pool or marry a nonmember in the hopes that they will get baptized.


There's not a lot of diversity. True.  BUT... its not BYU's fault that there is not diversity. Mormons on the west coast are predominately white middle class Americans. Pretty boring. Our views are predominately republican. True. AND I do get annoyed when professors try and force their opinion as doctrine. THAT is not BYU's fault as well. Just poor teaching. The role of a college professor is to provide an intellectual atmosphere where we can make decisions of our own based on research and historical background. Diversity I would love...but it comes with the territory.

No missionary opportunities. I'm sorry but there absolutely is! One of the biggest problems especially at BYU is inactivity. How many of us know people who ward hop? It's so widespread that you're probably one of them. Or what about your roommates who don't go to church, or do their home teaching, go to the temple regularly, etc. Seriously we could all list more than 10 people that could have need of our fellowship. So missionary work does exist. You just think it doesn't because its more challenging than handing off someone to the missionaries.


I'm going to admit that the Provo area is a little particular but lets be honest, they are marketing to a sober college student population. There is a lot to do around Provo when you think about it especially when it gets warmer; all the beautiful countryside and trails. True it's not green like Washington or Texas but it's got a beauty of its own.

To those of you who have transferred by choice or by obligation from BYUI to BYU and you miss the ol' Idaho. GET OVER IT. Seriously, I know that BYUI has a lot to offer, but you're hear, at the REAL BYU so get used to it and enjoy yourself. BYU has SO much to offer. Just look at our sporting events. If you want energy, excitement and school spirit just go to one of those. Seriously basketball this year ?!?!?!?! HELLO!!!

(PS. Jimmer is awesome. I just met him yesterday along with the rest of the team, they are so chill. SO much more respect for them.)


Other opportunities include the vast amount of languages offered and spoken on campus. Arguably the best place to learn a foreign language outside the MTC. The temple is just a few blocks down the street. There are many WORLD renown performing groups that have done wonders for missionary work over seas. Study abroad opportunities, the BYU Jerusalem center....AND General Authorities come here often to speak.  Some of you people are just taking these blessings for granted.


I agree wholeheartedly that if there was a BYU Cali it would ROCK! That is all.

4 comments:

  1. CLR,
    You made some very good points!!! I attended BYU and enjoyed my whole time there. If others do not like BYU why do they stay there? Maybe they aren't ready for all that is the BYU experience. Grandma Roberts
    Tip: Do spell check on your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with ya Charlie! nice post, thanks for venting for me :)

    ReplyDelete