Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sometimes My Hobbies Start to Take Over My Life

So I've decided to give a brief history of my ballroom beginnings. A lot of people ask me how long I have been dancing for and I tell them like a year and a half...but here is how it all started.


I came to BYU and decided to take a ballroom class. I did well. I went on my mission. When I came back I took two more ballroom classes and the following semester I made the ballroom team (Winter 2010). That same semester I started dancing "Open Events" ...with the beautiful dresses, coaches and new choreography. I started in the Ballroom Style (Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz and Quickstep). That summer I tried Smooth (Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot and VW) where you can detach from your partner and frame. Smooth is like Fred and Ginger style dancing. The following semester I was moved up to the Intermediate Team (Fall 2010). I changed my two partners and got a new Ballroom partner, new Smooth partner and began to dance Latin (Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso and Jive). Last year with these three partners, we accomplished much at various local and out of state competitions (Winter 2011). I am now on the Back-Up Tour Team at BYU. I have changed my Ballroom and Latin partners yet again.


This year, I will be dancing 10 dance (or the International Latin and Ballroom Styles) with the beautiful Gioia Reni. What a blessing this will be hopefully for the two of us. I KNOW she is a fantastic dancer not only technically but in expression as well. I know that I have much to learn especially in the Ballroom style. I hope that together we can fulfill each others dreams.


It is interesting how fast I came in contact with the ballroom world, how fast I became serious, or how fast my pocket book felt this new hobby.....


Now I know the names of the top competitors when even a year ago I hadn't heard of most of these people.


I guess this post is just a way of me saying. I am so grateful for every ballroom partner I have ever had. Each has taught me something new and with each I grew so much! I have THEM to thank. Their dedication proved evident through their time and financial sacrifices. I could not be where I am today without them (and the coaches that made us what we were). I was given a wonderful opportunity this year. I have already noticed a significant difference in my dancing and would naturally like to say...LOOK OUT WORLD. There have been several couples that I thought were forever out of reach. This year is gonna be different :)


So to continue this discussion. I have dedicated so much time, money and energy on this new hobby of mine, that now I want to do something with it. Sometimes I think of teaching at a studio or starting up a team or something. I figure by the end of my ballroom academia at BYU I should be fairly proficient enough to teach anywhere.

EFY has also had some affect on my life journey. I'm in a Seminary Teaching class right now. Not saying that's where my life is going. But it is an interesting lifestyle. Seminary teacher/Ballroom coach.





{Sir Charles III}

1 comment:

  1. Sir Charles,
    Interesting that you would post about Ballroom Dancing on your Grandpa Roberts' 76th Birthday. He loves Ballroom and has been dancing and teaching it for the 60 years I have known him. He has taught it to adults and youth in two countries.
    There were no dance teams at BYU when we attended there. You and Aunt Barbara are the only members of our family to be on BYU Dance Teams. That is very exciting to Grandpa and me. Keep up the good work and it is o.k. to have a hobby become a profession. ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!!!
    Grandma Roberts

    ReplyDelete