Thursday, February 3, 2011

Expectations


I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow 
so I decided to repent of my ways and blog :)

Well I was talking to a very dear friend of mine about dating, marriage, and the whole shtick. We talked about how dating is difficult because you commit so much emotionally into it. All the while, not knowing if it is going to work out or not and when I say work out or not I'm talking absolutes not the rare occasions when a couple just become really good friends after breaking up. Naturally every relationship either ends up in a breakup or marriage when we get down to the nitty gritty. So, why do we put ourselves through all that torcher?

Well I think it has a lot to do with the expectations we grew up with. We see these movies and read in book of princes sweeping the princess off her feet. Or a guy falling deeply in love with a girl out of his league...and then getting her. The list is honestly endless. We grow up with it though...and that is precisely the thought process we go through when dating...that is unless you've dated for a while, then you've probably been slapped back into reality.

Dream: 
- Find the perfect spouse
- Get the perfect job
- Have the perfect family
- Natural disasters, physical ailments, arguments, wars, etc.....don't exist

Reality:
- Prince charming isn't a model...but he's got his own kind of charming-ness to him
- The princess doesn't live in a castle nor is she a model
- Your lucky to even get a job let alone the one of your dreams with adequate pay
- I'm sorry but your kids (try as you might) will probably be above average but no movie stars, no concert pianists, no no no no no

Don't think I'm being pessimistic just keep reading. So here I am with my friends who talk to me about their relationships and the big question is, "Is there someone better? For me? Will I ever find them? When?" The sad thing about our culture is that there are an assortment and by assortment I mean encyclopedia of ExPeCtAtIoNs. When you are suppose to go on a mission or suppose to get married, what a perfect family is suppose to look like, on and on and on. I think this has a serious tendency to get us in trouble.

Scene from 500 Days of Summer (one of my new favorites)
Then back to the Dream/Reality comparison. WHY can't life be a dream? Why can't we find the perfect opposite? Is it out of fear? Our are we self conscious to the point where we think we have to be perfect ourselves before we can ask anyone to marry us? (..personally that's my biggest problem..)

Anyway, dating is the bomb diggity...and can I just say that HUGS ARE AWESOME! ;) And...why can't life be great like this..no one said it couldn't.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I guess we have dreams, because without them what is there to look forward to? If we already knew reality, maybe we would be a more depressed society and having children wouldn't be a joy, nor going on a mission nor getting a job and the excitement they all bring...Don't dish the dreams...it keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I love 500 Days of Summer! I saw it for the first time after breaking up with someone about a year ago. Perspective us crazy. So is life...
    (your blog looks like your wardrobe...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. life is good because of its ups and downs, even in dating--dare i say it.

    p.s.- i hated 500 days of summer, but i still LOVE you and your blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete